[A Quick Note: THANK YOU to the nearly 400,000 people who have pinned this post to your Pinterest boards! You guys made my
day year! Please stop by my follow-up post, 30 MORE (Non-Cheesy) Date Ideas!]
I realize that after years of being married one might need some fresh, NEW ideas to get the party started.
Before we start, here are my key requirements for date nights:
1. You MUST set aside your date night schedule and stick to it. No excuses. If you don’t have kids, shoot for once a week. If you do have kids, at LEAST once per month. It doesn’t need to be expensive or fancy. The point is to set aside time just for the two of you. Got kids? Send them to grandma’s, hire a sitter or swap kids with another family. Make it happen!
2. Leave your phones in the car/at home! This is about making the other person the priority! If you’ve got kids at home with a sitter, take one phone and check it every once in a while. And no, don’t check your Facebook while you’re at it!
3. HAVE FUN! Date nights are not about family budget meetings, or arguing over legitimate problems you may have. Leave all that for later. This night is about LOVE. Protect it!
Here are 30 (Non-Cheesy) Date Ideas:
- Rent a tandem bike and stroll the beach. Stop at a random beachfront dive bar for a drink.
- Sign up for a mud run. It’s wet, dirty and you burn calories. See the image above for inspiration!
- Channel your inner kid and stroll through a cornfield maze while sipping on some warm apple cider. ‘Tis the season!
- Go camping! Or, Glamping if you’re bougie (like me!). Point is, get away, shut out the world, kick back, and relax.
- Play strip poker in the privacy of your own home. Why not?
- Light some candles, turn off the TV and break out The Art of Kissing… Try as many of these kisses as you can before (cough,cough) skipping to The Grande Finale. Who knew there were THAT many ways to kiss?!
- Take your grandmother’s quilt, a bottle of champagne, a book of poems or a box of all the love letters you’ve been saving since you met. Lay under the stars in your backyard, local park or local high school football field and read… simply dreamy.
- Take dance lessons. The sexier the better. Salsa anyone?
- Build a Lair of Love in your backyard. Throw up a tent made of sheets, hang some pretty string lights, fill the floor with soft blankets and pillows. You can make s’mores and do nothing but laugh… and make out. It’s a fun way to feel like you’ve escaped the norm sprinkled with tons of romance!
- Enjoy an outdoor live band and dance the night away!
- Drop your kids off at a friend’s house for a play date then go back to your house and have sex. What? I’m serious!
- Can’t find a sitter? Put the kids to bed early, order in some din-din and snuggle up to a movie on Netflix.
- Wanna’ get out of the house but have to take the kiddos with you? Play mini golf or bowling. It’s OK to keep it a family affair once in a while.
- Go on a family bike ride. This one is great because the kids will love it, and you and your man can hang back and have “adult conversation”.
- Enjoy a living room camp out! Bring out the air mattresses, unleash the junk food and watch movies as a family all night. So what if it’s not one-on-one time with your man… at least you’re together and enjoying the family you’ve created!
- Hit up a local perfumery and go make your own perfume and cologne! This is crazy fun and a great conversation starter. Plus, you get to help pick his/her scent!
- Rent a luxury car for the day, pack a bag and hit the road. Drive until you find a cute B&B and live on the wild side.
- Check out the last minute deals and hop on a plane to a fun destination. Even if it’s Vegas for two days… get outta’ dodge!
- Enjoy a romantic, private dinner on a yacht. Nothing says romance like sunset, fine dining and water.
- Enjoy a sensual day at the spa together. I recommend starting with a Turkish Hammam/Turkish bath, followed by a massage then finish it off with a milk bath and champagne. Of course, you’ll do each of these things together! It’s sensual, sexy and relaxing… You’re welcome!
- Grab The Book of Questions and ask away. You can do this over dinner at home or at a restaurant. Awesome conversation and you’ll really get to know your spouse on a deeper level.
- Grab a glass of wine and hit the road – your neighborhood, I mean. No harm in taking an aimless evening stroll when you’re with the one you love.
- Go play a game of tennis, basketball or catch in your backyard or local park. It’s free, active and sweaty. That’s a good combination if you ask me.
- Wanna’ check out a play or musical but don’t have the mula? Oftentimes theater companies will sell you tickets to their dress rehearsal but you pay only a fraction of the cost. It’s super unique, fun and less uptight than the “real deal”.
- Skip the expensive wine bars and hit up a local pub. Play a round of darts or pool. Winner takes “all”…
- Go house hunting. Pick up some Starbucks, slap on a cozy scarf, stroll your favorite neighborhoods and dream about your future.
- Make a Marriage Bucket List and cross off one of the items that night.
- Plan a trip! So what if it’s in the future. Spend a night picking your destination and what things you want to do/see while you’re there. You’ll be amazed what a good conversation starter this is!
- Write love letters dedicated to the other person 20 years from now. Read them to each other then lock them away for safe keeping. Now THAT will make for a fun date night in 20 years…
- Create a family “Vision Board” for the next year. Grab tons of magazines and newspapers from friends the week prior and spend the night listening to your favorite songs while pasting your dreams together. Hang it up on a cool cork board in your kitchen and watch your dreams come true.
By the way, if you purchase anything through my Amazon links I’ll make some money to ACTUALLY go on a date night myself. 😉
Did you like this article? Pin it on one of your boards for future reference!
Photo courtesy of sint via fotolia